The Plan: Retire & achieve "Needgreater" status (Ecuador, Colombia, Peru?)
("I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The"A" Team)

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Like they say, it's a "dry heat" LOL


To simulate Vegas in summer: Put blow-dryer on high & aim at face


Can’t believe it’s almost August already.
We got beat up in June with ten days straight of over 110 degree temps along with a couple of 117's thrown in for variety.
Incidentally, 117 is the official Las Vegas record, but official just means the temperature at the airport. Around town, it hits 120 or so. But as you can see, we still go in field service, and for some perverse reason, still wear ties LOL.
Also can’t believe we haven’t been to the regional convention yet, but our time is coming and when it does, I’ll post some pics.
At the Spanish Circuit Assembly, St George, UT
We got assigned to St George, Utah, as we have for a number of years now. This time was later than usual, August 4-6, but I did get a taste by catching Sunday’s program in Spanish with my Colombian compadre, Al Pinzon.
Spanish Regional, St George, UT
Speaking of Spanish, mine is coming along nicely. Of course, I had the advantage of pioneering for 2 years in Ibarra when I was younger, so I have a good foundation that has stuck with me. I’ve been attending a local Spanish congregation, Valle Verde, here in Las Vegas since November, getting back into the swing of things. Their Sunday meeting is at 3:30 pm, so I have time to go to my English meeting at 10:00 am, then home for a bit of lunch and a siesta, before heading to the Spanish.
With Joe Thomas, age 99, at Memorial
A highlight of the year was giving a public talk at the Spanish congregation earlier in July. I’ve been giving public talks in English since I was 18, but my first Spanish one was special. I was a little nervous at first, but then settled right in. I guess it went okay, because they want me to give another one in a couple of months. It’s good preparation for when I head south (way south) next year, because I’m sure there won’t many elders and I’ll have ample opportunity for program parts.
Here in Vegas the routine continues, with spiritual activities as well as joyous occasions of brothers getting engaged and married. The bonus is that there are always gatherings, and witnesses may love to eat as much as they enjoy the preaching work.
Brotherhood in action: 5 brothers, 4 countries, 1 congregation
We always read about our international brotherhood, but here in Las Vegas it’s more in evidence than a lot of places. People move here from all over, so the congregations can be literally a “gathering of people of all nations”.
I was reflecting on that just this past Monday as we were out inviting people to the convention. (Ah, summer in the Mojave Desert). There were 5 brothers out, myself, just the basic North American Caucasian; Jesse S., African-American; Kevin N., Vietnamese; Al P., Colombian; and the brother who took the picture was Glen L. from Sweden. What a great organization to be a part of, the only truly unified organization on earth, based on love of God and neighbor.
At an engagement party with the Mehlings

Mario, my Filipino brother
Kevin, my Vietnamese brother finally got married

No comments:

Post a Comment