The Plan: Retire & achieve "Needgreater" status (Ecuador, Colombia, Peru?)
("I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The"A" Team)

Monday, April 22, 2013

So what was there to do in Ibarra, Ecuador - 40 years ago?


It makes me feel like Methuselah to even write that headline. But time passes quickly, and who would ever have known that I would be looking forward to returning 40 years after I left? (Like Moses out of Midian?)

the positive side, I still have basically the same amount of hair (although it’s gray now) and thanks to diet & exercise I’m still within 10 pounds and an inch on the waistline of what I was back then. But it remains to be seen if I can keep up with the young brothers in a basketball game- especially at 7,000 feet altitude!

I saw a blog recently that spoke of an excursion to the waters of Chachimbiro, so I thought it might be fun to post my photos from 1973 to see how it’s changed- or maybe not so much. Some things in Ecuador change so slowly that I suspect the resurrected conquistadores will still find a touch of the familiar.
Chanchimbiro: The gringo on the right is me in my Alabama
Crimson Tide football jersey.

Chacimbiro

Chachimbiro

Chachimbiro

Chachimbiro

Chachimbiro

Ibarra: My brother Joe reads comics.
Yes, you rent them and read them in the  store.

Ibarra: Joe & I spent many happy hours in the pool hall.
I think a game cost 5 sucres (about 25 cents). And they sold
sandwiches and cokes too!

My mother washing clothes at our house.
OK- so maybe that wasn't really recreation.

1 comment:

  1. It was fun seeing how Chachimbiro looked 40 years ago. It would be interesting to see just how the whole of the Imbabura region has changed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete