The Plan: Retire & achieve "Needgreater" status (Ecuador, Colombia, Peru?)
("I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The"A" Team)

Thursday, September 13, 2012

The countdown is on...

This will be a different sort of blog....both an affectionate look to the past and a hopeful look towards the future.

By way of introduction, my name is Jesse and my wife is Shirley. We have lived in Las Vegas, NV for 22 years and share our household with a paint horse named Trooper, bull terrier Thor, and African Gray parrot Diego.
We are active Jehovah's Witnesses and the "countdown" in the title refers to our goal of moving to Ecuador to serve where the need is greater in a Spanish speaking congregation.
As this blog continues, you will find entries regarding our life in Nevada (so often when we travel, we find that many folks are amazed that are thousands of Jehovah's Witnesses living and prospering in Las Vegas). 
There will also be entries and photos regarding one of the happiest periods in my life- when as a young man of 19 I was privileged to serve where the need was greater In Ibarra, Ecuador along with my parents, brother and sister



We spent two good years there in the full-time ministry before returning to Mobile, Alabama (thus the "Yellowhammer" alias). That was in the early '70s (you do the math), and I had always thought that when my circumstances would change (as they will in 2 years time with retirement) that I would return for another go at it. Although I serve in an English congregation, I've been able to remain fairly fluent in Spanish and look forward to working in the Spanish field.

Pebble Road Kingdom Hall- Las Vegas
It's funny- I read a lot of the blogs and communicate with some Gringos in Ecuador, so I have a good idea of how life is and what things cost. But with all the changes, the culture remains the same, and even though 40 years may have passed, the things I loved the first time around are the things I'll still enjoy. Those are some of the themes that will be addressed in future blog entries.
I don't know where we'll end up in Ecuador (I'm open to suggestions), but it will need to be somewhere in the Sierra, and of course I have a soft spot for Imbabura and that fabulous weather. As the time gets closer, I'll write the Branch and see what they recommend.
Obviously no-one can foretell the future, but two years passes very quickly, and having a specific goal helps to keep focus.
So we'll see what happens.
For everyone who happens to come across this blog- welcome to the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment